How does it work?
Step 1-sign up to the website and record your initial weight via the weight loss tracker.
Step 2- Keep a weight diary and contribute to the overall target.
Step 3- share your journey via social media using the hashtag #CornwallCan
Step 4- Most of all have fun!
You will be able to set your own goals in a time frame that suits you. This is a no pressure, non commitment project. You are totally responsible for how this works for you, whether it be through increased activity or changing your diet. All we ask is that you do it safely and follow our general rules.
1.Please don’t partake in fad diets or resort to starvation. You need energy to be able to function, including recovery when you are ill, the body gets this ability from the food you eats. Putting your body through such methods can be dangerous.
2. DO NOT PARTAKE IF YOU ARE CURRENTLY PREGNANT! Also new mums, especially those who are breastfeeding. There is no rush whatsoever into getting back “into shape” you are beautiful just the way you are. Take your time, rest and look after you and baby!
3.This campaign is not aimed at children, so if you are worried about your weight or your child’s weight please speak to your GP.
4. Don’t be fooled into thinking that losing 20lb in one go is also healthy. It is not! Through losing weight too quickly you can actually develop malnutrition, whereby your immune system can suffer. You need to be aiming for a healthy and achievable goal. The NHS has a wonderful guide to help you along with this. You can find it here.
5. Set yourself a challenge but make sure it’s realistic! If you have never exercised before or have a pre existing medical condition please seek advise from your GP. If you sign up to a gym, make sure you speak to the staff and have a proper induction on how to use the equipment. Start with the basics first. Like walking, swimming or gentle jog. Please do not over do it! Make sure that you warm up and cool down at each session to prevent injury. Your safety is the most important part!
6.The scales are not to be used every day! Research tells us, that by standing on the scales every day we actually become obsessed with the numbers. When it doesn’t go our way, we actually eat more and in some cases become depressed.
7. Stop comparing yourself to others. Every body is different. Some people might get to their goal within 3 months, other people are going to take longer. It is NOT a race or competition. This is about getting healthy and decreasing our risk of developing type 2 diabetes and other illnesses relating to obesity in the future. we are aiming for #healthynotperfect
8. Most importantly remember to have fun! Get together with friends, have a laugh with one another, support each other. You can even do this as a team! Arrange to go out and meet up for a coffee and cake. You are only human, don’t deny yourself some small pleasures in life. Just enjoy it in moderation instead!